Monday, 18 May 2009

Smallholder festival 2009...

We went to the smallholder festival in Wales on Saturday and it was brilliant! So many things to see, we were there from 9am till 6pm and I'm sure we missed quite a bit.

There was lots of environmentally friendly stuff, lots of delicious food and drink, a wide range of crafts and of course, lots of animals! I took so many photos that my legs were aching from crouching down to get a picture.

Sheep first, this one is a Welsh Mountain Badger Face sheep. The colour pattern is known as Torwen...
Torwen Badger Face sheep

Another Welsh Mountain Badger Face, this colour pattern is Torddu...
Torddu Badger Face sheep and lamb

A very cute Greyface Dartmoor lamb...
Greyface Dartmoor lamb

I felt a bit sad when I saw the sign behind this Wiltshire Horn - 'no wool, no work, no worries!' surely that means no spinning, no weaving, no dyeing, no feltmaking, no knitting and no fun?!
Wiltshire Horn

Goats
next, there was a whole building full of Angoras...
Angora goat face

This lovely basket of Angora goat skins was so soft and had a gorgeous sheen...
Basket of Angora goat skins

The rest of the goats were in a separate building. There were loads of them! All kinds of breeds, some of which I hadn't seen before and most of them were really friendly and inquisitive. I want some goats!

This Anglo Nubian had a good selection of sticks to nibble on...
Brown Anglo Nubian goat

There were lots of lovely Toggenburgs...
Grey Toggenburg goat with bucket

A very mellow British Saanen...
White British Saanen goats

A lot of the billy goats were kept further away from the public (maybe to stop people going home stinking of goat?!) so most of them stood with their front feet on the bars of their pens for a better view.

This particular billy kept striking a pose...
Good lookin' billy goat 4

These Pygmy goat kids were all snuggled up in a heap! They were tiny...
Pygmy goat kids

There were a few llamas...
White and brown llama face

White llama face

This one didn't seem to enjoy meeting Ade...
Ade and llama

There were hundreds of birds. I liked these wooden hutches...
Wooden bird hutches

Rabbits were out in force...
Rabbit

Can't remember what kind of cow this was but it had a nice silky face...
Interesting cow

Tamworth pigs...
Kipping Tamworths

A Welsh pony who had a lovely brown foal that kept hiding from the camera...
Welsh pony

I wanted to get some pictures of the gorgeous food we had but it all got eaten too quickly! I had some caremelized fig ice cream that was amazing. Ade had a large quantity of cider and perry.

We got loads of ideas for the smallholding dream (to add to all the ideas we've already got!). It was a great day, I'd love to go back next year!

1 comment:

  1. It really was a great day! I wish there was a smallholding show every weekend - although it's probably good for my bank balance that there isn't! :) Seeing your pics, I imagine we probably passed each other quite a few times! I particularly like your first photo - what a cutie - and I too was horrified by the 'no wool' breed!

    ReplyDelete